Wednesday, February 10, 2010

So, how did you become a clown?


When people find out that I am a clown, they usually ask how this happened. I didn't spend my childhood dreaming of joining the circus. I didn't seek it out. I didn't go to clown school. The opportunity was offered to me.

My mom worked with a woman who was a part time clown; her name was Sheila. After her partner moved away, Sheila asked my mom if I would be interested in helping her out with the workload. Like most people, the idea of being a clown had never crossed my mind before. Once offered, though, it didn't take me long to decide.

As a 15 year-old, opportunities for work are usually limited to babysitting or mowing lawns, and unless you are extremely lucky, neither of those pay very well. Not that clown apprentices roll in the dough either, but it's better than a few bucks and a pizza. And more fun. Much more fun.

My training began with practicing balloon animals (the hardest part was getting over the fear of popping the balloon! after that, learning to tie them.) and watching Sheila face paint at her Kid's Night at Picadilly. I got a basic face paint kit and practiced on my friends and family until I felt comfortable helping out at Kid's Night.

Assisting, mostly at Kid's Nights & a few festivals, was my only clown job until I went out on my own 3 years later. I'm happy to say that both Holly (regular me) and Lil' Miss Rainbow (clown me) have worked for private parties, corporate events, festivals such as SkaterAid, Relay for Life, Atlanta Heart Walk, The March of Dimes and much, much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment